Wednesday 26 August 2020

It's Been a Bean of a Day

We had a Monday full of crab apples and a Tuesday full of squash, so, it was only fitting to have a Wednesday full of beans.  We are swimming in beans.  Every year we plant a lot of beans; they are the vegetable with the best bang for your buck.  Bean plants just produce, produce, produce, for weeks on end.  

While I like beans as much as the next person, I do not enjoy harvesting them.  The bending over is hard on the back and green beans are just too difficult to see - now we only plant yellow beans.  Even so, I am very happy to outsource bean harvesting.  I am not even above bribing the boys with "special juice" to help out.   Yes, I might be the trickiest farmer/mother ever - who knew carrot/beet/tomato/apple juice would work so well at motivating children to help with harvesting?! 



We also used the pulp leftover in the juicer to make healthy veggie muffins. I love when nothing goes to waste almost as much as I love seeing my kids devour heaps of vegetables with zero complaints.

Best of all, thanks to Liam and Seamus' bean harvesting skills, we ended up with another lovely batch of beans to pickle into dilly beans.  This was a win-win for everyone resulting in full tummies, veggie juice moustaches and another couple of jars to add to our pantry.


No comments:

Post a Comment