Monday 17 August 2020

You Win Some, You Lose Some

 If apples do indeed keep the doctor away, then we should be all set.



We still have heaps of apple sauce from last year's harvest so this year's first batch got sliced, tossed in a citric acid solution, and spread out in the dehydrator.  Apple chips here we come!  These are the best snack ever.  They will taste just like sour apple Jolly Ranchers.

In addition to swimming in apples, we have also had a very successful eggplant growing season.  These are eggplants 8 through 12 and boy, are they giant!  By far, the biggest eggplants I have ever grown.


While we are winning on the apple and eggplant fronts, I continue to be a gigantic loser with regards to cantaloupe.  I do not have a great track record growing cantaloupe.  To be more precise, I can grow them but I have never been able to successfully harvest one.  My very first year gardening in the teeny tiny garden I planted behind my rented apartment in Toronto, I managed to grow a grapefruit sized cantaloupe.  I babied that melon, watered it religiously, crooned to it even...and then one day, it simply disappeared.  It was traumatic.

Today's cataloupe mishap brought me right back to my very first melon heartbreak.  Much to my delight I managed to grow two cantaloupes this season.  I have been watching them with arms length interest, making sure not to get too attached.  I was surprised but not shocked when, about a week ago, one magically disappeared.  But I still had one, right?  And hope.  I still had hope.  Fast forward to today.  My hope is dead and well, so is my last remaining cantaloupe.  Sob.  

At least Hammy enjoyed the sad melon scraps.  My poor, poor cantaloupe.  How I was so looking forward to eating thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment