Wednesday 25 August 2021

One Final Sweaty Adventure

For our last field trip of the 2020/21 homeschooling year, we headed out on this very, very hot day to explore Upper Canada Village.  

Over the past year we have seen the ruins of several pioneer homesteads on our many hikes.  Today we thought that we would tie it all together with a visit to the pioneer village where lessons from the woollen mill workers, sawmill operator, baker, tin smith, hotel owner, tenant farmer, physician's helper and shoemaker could enrich our understanding of what it might have been like to be one of the early settlers in Canada.



The boys enjoyed the visit but, as usual, I am pretty sure their favourite part was the ice cream at the end.  It was incredibly hot here today and I must admit, I enjoyed the ice cream quite a bit too!

We have two more days of homeschooling left in our school year and then the boys return to "real" school this coming Tuesday August 31st.  They are registered and ready to go.  

Liam and Seamus are really looking forward to meeting their new teachers (not me this time, thank goodness!) and having school mates who are not each other.  I am excited too.  On some level I will miss being constantly surrounded by my boys every second of every day, but I am also very much looking forward to some quieter times and not being solely responsible for their academic pursuits.  A very strange chapter in our lives is closing and a new (and hopefully great) one is soon to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment