Sunday 22 August 2021

Crazy as a Beekeeper

Beekeepers are their own kind of crazy.  Not only do we voluntarily house thousands of stinging insects, spend ridiculous amounts of money on sugar to feed them and medications to treat their illnesses, and worry constantly about how they are doing, but we also suit up in crazy hot full body armour to check on them in 36 degree C August heat.  It is nuts!

This is the before picture. 
I was a sopping wet, sweaty blob by the time the inspections were complete.

In my apiary report for today: I successfully removed all the mite treatment medication, added more food to the weakest hive and checked each hive for eggs.  

My troublesome hive (also my best honey producing one) is still being difficult.  During the last inspection the queen was laying eggs in the honey supers instead of in the brood boxes.  Now the hive has decided that they do not like that queen anymore and is in the process of making a new one.  Ugh!  They are supposed to be laying their winter bees right now not raising a brand new queen bee.  Even though I do not agree with their strategy, I left them to their business for now.  However, if they don't get their act together quickly and start preparing for winter, I will have to merge them with another hive so they don't die.  Ugh bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment