Monday 8 July 2019

The Quest for an Almost Unattainable Ingredient

Why is it that you always want what you cannot have?  My quest to find a surplus of those succulent scarlet red stalks that we call rhubarb has become increasing arduous.

First I tried growing it.  Nope.  Year two and nada.

Then I tried transplanting roots from a different, highly recommended, very hardy variety, in a different spot.  Nada, again.

Then I convinced Ian to help me forage a few stalks from a nearby vacant field that boasts a huge wild rhubarb patch visible from the road.  That did not work either.  We got less than five steps into the field before we were chased away by the alleged land owner who was adamant about not sharing because the plant (again) allegedly was from the time of "the area's first settlers".   Whatever that means.  Sharing is caring, am I right?!

I have tried asking some of my neighbours if they have a bumper crop.  Nope.

I have called local farms to see if they are selling any.  No, on all those fronts too.

I did manage to harvest some from the rhubarb plant at the cottage - score!  Thanks Mom!  I made stewed rhubarb for GG's birthday cake.

But there is so much other rhubarb related baking that I want to undertake!  I finally caved and bought a package of exorbitantly expensive rhubarb from the grocery store.  I know - cringe worthy.  It was $1 per stalk.  No joke.  Highway robbery but apparently this stuff is extremely difficult to come by - at least if you are me.


I put my store bought rhubarb to good use this afternoon creating a delicious batch of strawberry rhubarb mint iced tea.

4 cups rhubarb (store bought, sigh)
2 cups strawberries (frozen)
1.5 ounces (about 35 sprigs) of apple mint (from Dad's herb garden)
4 quarts of water


Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
Add 4 black tea bags and steep for 5 minutes.


Strain.


Add 1.5 cups sugar.
Cool and then pour into pitchers.
Refrigerate and serve over ice.


While this lovely iced tea turned out to be a crowd pleaser, it unfortunately used up all of my store bought rhubarb.  Sob.  It seems that my dreams of strawberry-rhubarb pie, rhubarb compote, apple-rhubarb muffins, and a second (slightly tweaked) batch of strawberry rhubarb mint iced tea for my CSA baskets, must all be put on hold unless I can secure more of this highly coveted vegetable.

If you know of anyone with rhubarb to spare (plants or harvested stalks), please send them my way or send me their way...either way - I need more rhubarb!  In the meantime, I will be researching where to order rhubarb seeds online.  Apparently, I am going to need to plant a rhubarb patch - a very large rhubarb patch.  Maybe two rhubarb patches.  I will get my hands on some rhubarb somehow... I simply must!

No comments:

Post a Comment