Wednesday 17 July 2019

Enjoying the Fruits of our Labour

Well, I did it.  Our vegetable gardens are back in working order.  After a quick sprinkle of Epsom salts on the tomatoes and eggplants, we pruned the bottom few branches off of the tomato plants, tied the peas to their trellises and the escapee tomato plant branches to their cages, weeded the pumpkin/sunflower patch, pepper pots, and Liam and Seamus' pallet garden, planted a row of turnips for a fall harvest, and watered all the veggie gardens except the main kitchen garden because it got watered yesterday.

Now that our gardens are under control, we can get back to enjoying the fruits of our labour.  We have been loving the kale salad with homemade creamy garlic scape Caesar dressing.


Recipe: Creamy Garlic Scape Caesar Salad Dressing

3 garlic scapes
1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp plain yogurt
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp anchovy paste
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt

Starting with the scapes, I blended all of the above ingredients together in the food processor and viola!  So simple yet so delicious.





Yesterday's supper: homemade quiche (from frozen), kale caesar salad, and iced sun tea.
Last night's dinner was easy to prepare but tonight I opted for a dinner I could make with my feet up. I figured that I deserved it after all my hard work in the gardens.

Goose sausage with BBQ'd onions, peppers, tomatoes, & pineapple. 
We also had fresh picked garden peas that the boys and I shelled.

Ah...dirty feet means a job well done.

Yum!  Too bad I cannot grow pineapple.
We do not have Alistair eating kale or BBQ with the rest of us quite yet, but he has been enjoying his foray into baby friendly foods. Today he tried yogurt and banana for the first time.  Based on his smile, I think they were both winners.


I wonder if he will smile like that for kale...

No comments:

Post a Comment