Sunday 28 July 2019

Lettuce-avaganza

It has been a great year for lettuce.  With the really hot and dry weather upon us, I finally picked the last of our spring-planted lettuce.


I even shared some with the hens and ducks - mostly the bolted shoots.


No rest for the weary; after picking, I hoed the soil, added fertilizer, and immediately sowed a fall crop of lettuce.  Until that is ready we will have to rely on the plants growing in our shaded lettuce trellis as well as get creative with other greens such as kale and chard. 

Kale.  We have armfuls and armfuls of kale.
These hardier greens, despite growing easily and copiously in the garden, are a harder sell to Ian and the kids.  Too much taste, they say. 

It is time to break out some new salad dressings to augment (disguise?) their flavour.  Any suggestions?  Send me your favourite homemade salad dressing recipe and I promise to make it and feature it on the farm blog.  Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment