Tuesday 16 April 2019

Springing into Action

We started off the day with the goats springing loose from their barn.  Granby has figured out how to horn open the door latch.  It was a goat free-for-all!



While Ian was busy fixing the barn door, I was surprised by the spectacular oven spring in today's sourdough bread.  This was "cheat" sourdough made using 1/4 cup of sour flour added to my usual recipe.  This special flour was gifted to me by the lovely baker who makes the most delicious bread at the Carp bakery.  Thank you!


Later in the day Seamus and I agreed to Alistair's suggestion that we enjoy the spring weather by trying out the baby swing on the play structure.  Ali swung for 10 minutes (not bad for his first ever swing) and then promptly fell asleep.  Amazing. 


Seamus and I used the free time to weed all of the box and pallet gardens. 



In the midst of our clean up we found both a huge and furry mouse - eeks!  And a huge bunch of carrots that were still crispy and edible - score!



I was also able to get my first seeds directly into the ground.  In a pallet garden covered with plastic to make a mini greenhouse, I planted: endive, garland, spinach, chard, mescalin mix, red lettuce, arugula and radishes.  Woohoo!



We finished off the day with an incredible magenta sunset.  Not bad for one of the first days of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment