Friday 26 April 2019

The Mystery of the Rigour Mortis Hen

We had a very strange happening on the farm tonight.  It is quite common for me to have to lift the broody hens out of the nest boxes when I close everyone up for the night.  Moving broody hens is not particularly fun.  They are very protective of the unfertilized eggs they are "hatching".  Each night they put up a ruckus when I remove them from on top of their "babies" - squawking, pecking - it is a whole rigmarole.

"I dare you."

"You want my eggs?  You want MY eggs?!"

"Enter at your own risk"

"Look at this face.  Do you really want to put your hand in here?"
Usually, though, our broody hens are the brown ladies; they have the strongest nesting instinct.  Happily, my two broodiest are currently residing in a different coop with Beemster so I have had a reprieve from broody hen moving for the past few days.


Tonight, much to my surprise, I found a white hen in the nest boxes when I went to put the chickens to sleep.  Thinking nothing of it, pulled down my sleeves to protect my wrists from errant pecks, reached into the nest box, snatched her up and plopped her down on the coop floor.  And....nothing.

No pecks, no squawks, no movement of any kind.  In fact, she did not even move when I put her on the floor.  Usually, a dislodged hen gives an ornery feather ruffle to remind you that you are compromising her dignity and complicating her mission towards motherhood.  But, in this case...nothing.


It was only when I picked her up again, that I realized that despite still being warm, this white hen was as stiff as a board.  I was holding a very dead chicken.

Her cause of death remains a mystery.  There were no signs of trauma or distress.  This little lady died in her nest, curled up like she was asleep.  I suppose if there was a best way for a hen to go, this would be it.  It is certainly less traumatic than a journey to the stew pot.

Rest in peace dear white hen.  May you run on greener pastures, nest on softer hay, and raise as many white, fluffy chicks as your little chicken heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment