Saturday 27 April 2019

Junk Jackpot

The maxim of "one man's trash is another man's treasure" was never truer, though in my case it could be refined to read "one CSA farm's metal grow hoops are another CSA farm's BEST FIND EVER!"

Ian's habit of constantly being within arm's reach of his phone drives me crazy.  However, his incessant cellphone use has finally paid off in spades. 

I have been eyeing new hoops for my box and pallet gardens all spring.  My hula hoops from last year did not hold up to the job but after pricing out their replacement with pvc or metal hoops, I could not justify the expense.  Especially, after we just replaced all the box gardens.

So, when BeetBox Farm, a local cooperative farm, advertised that they wanted to get rid of a bunch of metal grow hoops that they had outgrown, Ian responded immediately that we would gladly take them off their hands.  Alistair and I jetted over and I loaded them into the van.  Well, I loaded...Alistair occupied himself auditioning for the role of victim in a horror movie.  If I did not know about his aversion to his car seat, I would have thought that he had a substantial problem with my windfall of free metal grow hoops.


I might have left the farm with poorer mental health from listening to Alistair's screams but I was also many, many metal grown hoops richer.  What an incredible find!  I am thrilled and very thankful to BeetBox Farm for their generosity. 

I cannot wait to get my new hoops installed.  I have even started hardening off my seedling vegetables in order to get them ready for outdoor planting.

Inside.
Outside...well, in the garage at least.
The snow today is complicating matters slightly, but I will not be deterred!


No comments:

Post a Comment