Friday 3 September 2021

Heading for the Hills

Some days you just need to run as fast as you can away from your bad mood and head for the hills - the Gatineau Hills, in this case.  Today I headed out for my first ever solo hike to cure my back-to-school blues.


With no munchkins in tow, I hiked from Wattsford's Lookout to Etienne-Brule Lookout and back (in a wonky kind of loop).  It was about 16 km and took me 5 hours with a lunch stop halfway.


I passed many cabins - some nicer than others.

Keogan Shelter

Shilly Shally Shelter

Huron Shelter

Unnamed, very questionable shelter.
Hereby dubbed Sketchy Shelter.

I saw mushrooms and berries; probably all poisonous (except the chicken of the woods, of course).


I am not poisonous!






I appreciated many scenic vistas.

Wattsford's Lookout.

Etienne-Brule Lookout

My view during my lunch break.

Kingsmere Lookout

This has been a weird week for me.  Instead of feeling energized thanks to some extra free time with my two eldest boys back in school, I have felt sort of melancholic and drained.  I took all that negative energy with me today and left it all there on the trail.  Relying on the cleansing power of nature, I tried to fill back up with the calm of the forest, the freshness of the breeze, the soft crunch of acorns under my feet.  


Three times the trail I was following ended at a swamp.  Three times!  Three different swamps!

I passed by the CBC radio tower.
It is huge!






I am really hoping that my time in the hills has cured me of the weird funk I have been in this past week.  It was worth a try.  Looking forward to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment