Sunday 21 February 2021

Sometimes "Normal" is Weird

My baby is growing up.  Well, yes, Alistair is growing too but I am actually talking about my baby turkey.  I noticed for the first time this morning that everyone's favourite turkey, Pecky Becky, is growing a beard.  See that black patch in the middle of her chest?  Yep, that's her beard growing in.  

I know that beard growth is part of a male turkey's normal development at about a year of age.  Many hunters actually keep the beards of the wild turkeys they shoot as trophies.  Ian has several.

I know all this but it is still disconcerting to see a bristly patch of super coarse black hairs protruding from between Pecky Becky's silky soft chest feathers.  Like I said, totally "normal" but still super weird.

You know who is not weird?  My other baby - Alistair.  Thankfully he is not growing a beard of any sort and is still as cute as a button.  Ali is getting heavier though.  He better learn to hike proficiently on his own soon because I am not sure my back is going to consent to my carrying him around on 7.5 km hikes for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment