Thursday 3 September 2020

The Longest Day in History

Today was one of those days that really deserves to be two.  I completed the farm chores in the early morning mist, 



had breakfast for everyone ready by 8 am and then moved on to laundry, making bread, tidying the toys, roasting cherry tomatoes and wine cap mushrooms, and grating and freezing zucchini.


Our school lessons went swimmingly with each boy earning a sticker for a job well done.



My afternoon was spent in the apiary getting the hives ready for Saturday's upcoming honey extraction.  I did a very good job this year at getting the bees to prioritize making baby bees (to recover from our winter losses).  A consequence of this is that they did not lay down much honey.  This is fine with us because we will still have more than enough honey for our personal use, we just will not have much to sell this year.

I managed to avoid any stings during all my hive manipulations only to get nailed later on by a rogue bee hiding out in my farm boots.  Ugh!

Later in the afternoon, the boys and I headed to Lacelle's Bee Supply in Carleton Place to pick up some mite medications.  We also stopped for "first day back to school" ice cream.

Back at home, we made Puffball Pizza with this morning's roasted cherry tomatoes and wine caps for supper and sliced up the last of the puffball for the dehydrator.



After work, Ian and Liam went to Almonte to pick up a new freezer.  Yes, another one; we have two pigs worth of pork coming our way very soon as well as 28 meat chickens, 2 more meat ducks and a few juvenile roosters (once they start crowing and we can tell them apart from their sisters).  This all requires storage space.

Finally, we got through evening chores and got all the kids to bed.  I harvested another bowlful of mature wine cap mushrooms and I flatly refused Ian's offer to harvest a peck of peppers.  They may be ready, but I just cannot deal with them right now so they need to stay on the plants a few more days.

Oh my goodness, what a day.  At least I managed to avoid a date with the canner for the first time in weeks!  Is it bedtime for me yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment