Friday 25 September 2020

A Bad Day to be a Goat

 You may have noticed that there have not been any naughty Ava posts in a while.  Maybe you, like me, figured that Ava is finally growing up and, at long last, is beginning to understand her job as a livestock guardian.  If you did, then you, my friend, would be mistaken. Gravely mistaken.

I just happened to glance out the kitchen window this morning during home school time to see Martha laying sprawled out on the ground like she was dead.  I raced outside to find Ava half on top of Martha chewing on her hind leg.  Yep.  Ava tried to eat Martha.  Why?  I have absolutely no idea.  Ava has been living with Martha since the second she stepped foot on the farm almost a year and a half ago.  As far as I know, she has never used Martha as a chew toy before.  Ava has plenty of food - she is not hungry.  She also has three chew toys - she does not need Martha's leg.  Ava is not even teething.  What the hell?!

Also, did I mention that our other goat Mellie is now missing a horn?  This morning she had two.  Now, she has one and a bloody stump where the other used to be.  Again, what the hell?  I have no idea what went on in the barnyard this morning when my back was turned.  I also do not know if Ava is somehow involved in the case of Mellie's missing horn but, if not, it is quite the coincidence for it to happen on the same day I caught her trying to eat Martha.  Now Mellie really is a unicorn goat.


Apparently, today was a bad day to be a goat here on Gael Glen Farm.  And Ava has just earned herself a one way ticket back on her tether for the foreseeable future.  Ugh.  She is the most infuriating animal ever.

After a very trying morning, I made sure to carve out some time in the kitchen this afternoon to try and resuscitate the day.  The barn yard is usually my happy place but when that does not pan out, I can always count on the process of transforming our farm produce into a healthy, satisfying meal to lift my spirits.

The boys and I harvested fresh broccoli, lettuce, radishes, daikon, zucchini, oyster mushrooms, and carrots which we paired with our onions, garlic and venison strips to make a "beef and broccoli" stir fry.  My homemade sauce was amazing.

Recipe: Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Sauce 

(inspired by https://natashaskitchen.com/beef-and-broccoli/)

1 inch fresh ginger grated
5 cloves garlic pressed
1/2 cup hot water
6 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp sesame seeds




I still think that it is pretty amazing that all these vegetables are still growing right here in our backyard!

We paired our main course with a fresh side salad with sesame dressing.  

Recipe: Sesame Salad Dressing 

(inspired by https://www.recipetineats.com/asian-sesame-dressing/#wprm-recipe-container-24857)

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1/4 cup white vinegar 
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp sesame seeds

For dessert, we made pumpkin loaf with toasted pecans and dried cranberries.

Recipe: Pumpkin Loaf

(inspired by America's Test Kitchen)

2 cups flour (1 cup all purpose & 1 cup whole wheat)
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups pureed pumpkin (we used our Long Island Cheese Squash)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup toasted pecans
1 cup dried cranberries

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.


I will most likely remember today as "the day Ava tried to eat Martha" but at least it was not all bad.  I am so thankful that Martha is not dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment