Wednesday 2 September 2020

Pie, Potatoes & Plum Sauce on the Eve of Back to School

Is anyone else looking forward to the first hard frost so we can finally call it quits on the gardening and canning and spend our evenings relaxing with a good book?  Maybe it's just me...

Today's CSA basket was beautiful.  It included: zucchini, parsley, yellow beans, turnips, green and cherry tomatoes, swiss chard, kale, carrots, onions, peppers, cabbage, daikon, potatoes, plums, garlic, and a butternut squash.


After another very busy afternoon and evening in the kitchen, I am exhausted but at least I can say that I am caught up on the preservation front on the eve of back to school.

Today we put up twelve quarts of red potatoes, six pints of savoury plum sauce, and two pints of sweet pear sauce.  It might not sound like much but it was a full day's labour.

My trusty potato chopper.




Plum sauce on the left and pear sauce on the right.

Tomorrow is the first day of school and the boys are excited.  I am looking forward to it too.  I do not usually make fancy dinners during canning season since I am already spending all day in the kitchen but the eve of back to school warranted some special effort.  We had homemade meat pie made with our own wild-caught venison and garden potatoes, wine cap mushrooms, and red onions, with a side of fried green tomatoes.  The meal was a hit!





Happy Back to School everyone (in whatever form you have decided is the best fit for your family)!

No comments:

Post a Comment