Sunday 13 September 2020

Sunday Fun-Day in the Rain

 Please welcome our guest blogger for today: Ms. Kerry!  *Applause, applause*

"Each week the call of Gael Glen Farm lures me in. I can’t really explain the desire to sink my hands into the earth, pluck freshly laid eggs from the chicken coop, haul bales of straw and hay after mucking barns, have a socially-distanced chat with the matriarch.

 

Despite the weather forecast for rain (at times pouring rain), I set off to spend a couple of hours doing whatever needed to be done.



I will tell you quickly that the goats are my favourite but if I think about it, Charlie and I like each other a lot and of course, there is Pecky Becky – he is always happy to see me…I didn’t notice him much at first, but now it makes it difficult. He put on quite a show for me – or perhaps it was my bright yellow raincoat.



I sang a lot today. I sang in the rain to the animals while I cleaned their barns. I pulled out songs from the deep recesses of my memory – Scarborough Fair, The Sheep Shearing Song, Pick a Bale of Cotton…and with a captive audience (the animals gathered round), I added a few Newfoundland songs the repertoire. Charlie and Willoughby were most gracious and stayed next to me for the entire performance. I told them I’d be back next week.

 

I harvested a basket of vegetables – freshly washed from the rain, always carrying the pulse of the warm soil where they were nurtured. I was grateful to receive any type of anything, but as Krystal walked me through the gardens to collect turnip, carrots, beets, kale, GIANT cauliflower, squash, potatoes, parsley, chard, oregano, tomatoes – my mind immediately switched gears from the romantic notion of playing with the donkey and sheep to how do I get the most out of this produce. I knew my afternoon would have to be efficient in the kitchen.





The rain didn’t let up so Sunday afternoon was perfect for prepping soups, stews and baking.

I couldn’t wait to make cauliflower soup with giant green leaves. The new potatoes were practically melting before I got them into the air fryer to make home fries for my kids. The butternut squash roasted in the oven, still not sure of its destiny into a soup or just to eat on its own.





My kitchen has been humming – alive with fresh produce and the creation of truly wholesome meals.

My kids have healthy, full tummies having chosen to try all of the soups and stews. Perhaps the zucchini bread offered some incentive. I also think they were thrilled to see their mom in the kitchen working with fruits of her labour (albeit I only picked the veggies).





Going to the farm is my thing to do and it makes me happy. Hard work but good work. Rewarding work.



The animals are wonderful companions who are always enthusiastic to see me.

The crops are bountiful and a sight to be hold.

The MacLeods are smart, funny and kind people.

 

It’s easy for me to see the attraction.

No wonder I keep wanting to go back.

See ya next week.


Kerry"

No comments:

Post a Comment