Monday 21 October 2019

Our Anniversary Rocks

For our ten year wedding anniversary this month, Ian bought me not one, but many, special rocks. If you are envisioning a spectacular diamond ring or bracelet, you could not be more wrong.  No, I got five tonnes of 3/8" clear stone and I could not be happier about it.



This type of gravel is used for drainage; which we desperately need in our barns to stop water from pooling around everyone's hooves.  Last year the flooding in new donkey barn was so bad, we had to re-locate Charlie and the sheep into the old barn and put Martha and Mellie in the chicken coop.  We are hoping to avoid a similar situation this winter and so are being proactive about raising the barn floor six inches to hopefully keep the animals drier once the wet weather comes.


Alistair loved the dump truck.  The sound of the brakes made him jump about a mile but he was all smiles after that.  

Now I have to move this new five tonnes of stone from my driveway into the barns.  I have been having nightmares about having to move it with a wheelbarrow with Alistair strapped to me.  I keep having flashbacks to when I moved a full dump truck load of triple mix soil from the driveway to the back garden when I was pregnant with Alistair.  It must have been a hundred wheel barrow loads. I will be eternally grateful to my Dad for stepping up to help me.

It is one thing to push a wheel barrow full of dirt, it is another thing entirely to push one full of rocks.  And though I am still carrying him around with me wherever I go, Alistair weighs substantially more now that he did 18 months ago as a fetus.  Furthermore, unless this task warrants divine intervention, I am not holding my breath for my Dad to show up to assist me this time.  And so, I have asked for help.  

I reached out to our next door neighbour who owns a much larger farm than me.  While my request to borrow her tractor for an hour was politely declined, she did generously offer up an hour of her time to help me move the gravel with her tractor sometime in the next two weeks.  I will take it.  My back and my peace of mind are both preemptively thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment