Saturday 5 October 2019

Feeling Pear Shaped and Saucy

Jack Frost did indeed visit us last night leaving his mark on the fields and fence posts.


After venturing outside for animal care and milking this morning, the boys and I settled in to deal with our overload of tomatoes.  The boys sorted ripe from unripe.  We then added onion, peppers, spices, garlic and sausage meat to the colourful ripe tomatoes and canned a half dozen jars of pasta sauce.



Alistair refused to nap, so he was my helper during pressure canning time.
A few more winter meals are ready for the pantry!
I allocate all the boys a green star for a job well done.


Unfortunately the green tomatoes will need to remain with us for some time yet (taking up residence on my living room floor) as we wait for them to ripen.


In an effort to wear Liam and Seamus out after their afternoon nap, Alistair and I took them on a long autumn stroll to a (somewhat) nearly pear tree.  When you live in the country nothing is exactly right around the corner.


Upon being granted permission from Ms. Michelle and Mr. Chris, the pear tree proprietors, Liam and Seamus collected a surplus of large and beautiful, though unripe, pears.  We strapped them onto Ali's stroller and lugged them all home.



We have now apparently added canning pears to our pending to do list.  Maybe pear prep is what I will get up to tomorrow when our farm kitchen is taken over by a squadron of sausage making ex-Scout leaders.  Then again, maybe not. The kitchen table might still be too close to the plethora of "my sausage is bigger than yours" innuendos that are inevitable (and plentiful) on sausage making day.  I might just need to escape to the barnyard to spend time loving on my baby goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment