Wednesday 16 October 2019

I Hope My Dog is Not Allergic to Peanut Butter

There is no escaping it; the rain is coming.  It looks like we are going to be in for some soggy weather for the next few days.  While I certainly do not mind a good downpour, it will likely expedite the rate at which the beautiful autumn leaves are falling. 




As such, I made an extra effort during our morning wait for the school bus, to snap a few fall photos before we have more bare branches than leafy ones.

Alistair: "Would you look at that leaf?  I want it really, really badly."
"Come on, come on, come on!  Almost got it...."
"Ha HA!  Victory is mine!  Finally.  Now to stuff it into my mouth."
I even got Ian (who is always moving unless he is asleep) to stand still for a second to catch a gorgeous shot of him and Ali.


After our impromptu photo shoot, it was time to get down to business.  One of my tasks for today was to get Ava to take her heart worm/tick medicine.  She did not like it and kept spitting it out at which point Mellie would try her hardest to snatch it up.  I tried wrapping it in baked pumpkin skin which Ava loves.  No deal.  She worked her tongue around it and managed to simultaneously swallow the pumpkin and spat out the medicine.  As Mellie got closer and closer to gobbling down Ava's pill each time she rejected it, I eventually had to resort to drastic measures.  I cut the large tablet into pieces and coated them with crunchy, delicious peanut butter.  Success!





Ava has also been on a chewing spree lately.  She is chewing through water pails like they are going out of style.  She has consequently been upgraded (downgraded?) to a very old pot that we used to use to melt beeswax in as her outdoor water dish.



Our big outing today was Alistair's and my trek out Pakenham way in search of a ram to breed our sheep for spring lambs.  We visited a nice hobby farm with three Icelandic rams for sale.  There was one huge fellow and two six month old ram lambs.  We had a lovely visit except for the fact that the farm was also home to four large and very, very stinky goat bucks.  Their stench brought back a flood of traumatic memories of Granby which apparently I have just buried deep in my subconscious and can resurface at the first whiff of the pungent odour of a billy goat in rut.  Here is to hoping Martha and Mellie's milk supply never dries up.  




We made an offer on one of the ram lambs but I am not convinced that the owner is really interested in selling.  We will have to see if anything comes of it.


By the time our farm visit was completed, the rain was in full swing and has not stopped since.  Now that we are all back safe and sound on our farm, it is time to batten down the hatches and weather the downpour that is upon us.


No comments:

Post a Comment