Wednesday 30 October 2019

When Gravel Teaches You a Life Lesson

I made a promise to myself today.  When somebody asks me for help, I am going to say, "Yes.  Absolutely.  I'll be right over."

Upon receiving word that my previous offer of help moving my pile of gravel back to the barns had been postponed indefinitely, I was left scrambling today to find another way to move five tonnes of rocks.  We have a big rainstorm coming and snow starting next week, so this was not a task that could wait for "indefinitely".  After racking my brain for a solution that would not cost an exorbitant amount of money nor involve me wheelbarrowing the gravel back myself, I put in a call to a kindly gentleman farmer down the road.  I do not know this man well at all but I do know that he has a big tractor.  I crossed my fingers.  His response, "Yes.  Absolutely.  I'll be over this afternoon."


The thing about asking for help is that, in my experience, people don't do it unless they feel that they really need it.  I would venture to say that most people, myself included, will go to substantial lengths to get something done themselves to avoid inconveniencing others by asking for assistance. 

So, when someone does ask for help, even if I feel like saying, "I can maybe spare an hour at the end of next month", instead I am going to say, "Yes.  Absolutely.  I'll be right over."  Because that is the kind of person I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment