Thursday 10 October 2019

Kimchi with a Side of Slug

I have two sore fingers.  It's a long story...

Alistair and I took a culinary journey to East Asia today.  We started two new side dishes: kimchi and Auntie Tanya's favourite - sweet pickled daikon and carrots.

The pickled daikon was incredibly easy to make with the new "julienner" Ian and Liam picked up at this year's Canadian National Exhibition (CNE).  In fact, this tool is so incredibly sharp that it was also quite effective at julienning my finger that got in the way.


We just stuffed the veggies into a jar, added hot sugar vinegar syrup on top and processed in a water bath canner.  Done and done!


We were finished making the pickled daikon so quickly that we had time to play with the goats.  Did you know goats (and sheep) only have teeth on their bottom pallet?  Their top is just gums.  But do not let them fool you - those bottom teeth are sharp!  I found this out as Bishop's sweet nuzzles on my finger turned into a razor sharp chomp that drew blood.  Now I have two sore fingers (and a vampire goat?) and it is not even noon!


We rounded out our afternoon by preparing our homegrown chinese cabbage for a batch of kimchi.  This involved re-homing two healthy looking slugs who were very much enjoying my cabbage in their air conditioned, window filled vacation home (a ziplock bag in the fridge).  I do not like my kimchi with a side of slug so these fat and juicy fellows had to go!


We are happy to report that the cabbage is now de-slugged, chopped and soaking in a brine overnight - and I managed not to hurt any additional fingers in the process.



The daikon, carrot and cabbage remnants (minus the slugs) became goat snacks.


Seems they were a hit.  Now, to disinfect and bandage my sore fingers.  Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment