Thursday 11 March 2021

The Day of Two Butt Soakers

In celebration of the most beautiful spring day so far, the boys and I kept the school books packed away today and instead spent the entire day outside.

We started the morning off with a waterfall hike at Fitzroy Harbour Provincial Park.  Our route was only about 3 km but the soft, melting snow made it a tiring trek.  We each got a few boot soakers from the slush and I got my first butt soaker of the day when I skidded down a steep, icy part of the trail (on my butt...not intentionally).  Slushy underpants are very unpleasant.




Next we headed to Grandma's house for a lunch picnic on her back patio and an afternoon walk around her neighbourhood.


When he was not busy walking Annabelle, Alistair was more than happy to assist with spring clean up by helping the water flow into every sewer along the way.  At least no dog poop caught his attention this time!


Upon our return to the farm, it was on to coop mucking.  This went without a hitch but on my way back up to the house, I stepped into a big puddle with a hidden icy bottom, my feet went out from under me and I landed full out on my back in 3 inches of freezing poopy water.  I can now attest that there is something even more unpleasant than slushy underpants - poopy, slushy underpants.  It seems that I have some laundry to do.

Once outfitted in my third pair of underpants of the day, we headed out to collect the maple sap.  We are excited to report that the trees are starting to wake up!  Most of our buckets were about a third to a half full and boy, was the sap ever dripping!  


It is amazing to see how much the boys have grown in a year - they are able to help much more this year than last.  For us, sap collection is very similar to Easter morning egg hunts.  The boys race from bucket to bucket lifting each lid to see how much sap is in each.  Liam is even strong enough now to lift the half-full buckets down independently and pour them into the collector bucket.





It is back to the books for us tomorrow but we certainly made the most of being out and about on this oh so gorgeous March day.  It was even worth all the pairs of slushy underpants.

No comments:

Post a Comment