Saturday 13 March 2021

Sore Soles = Springy Souls

Liam has taken to hiking like a duck to water.  I am a bit surprised, but also very pleased, that he has chosen such a healthy hobby to latch on to.  He has asked a few times over the last several weeks to do a longer hike, like the one we did over Family Day weekend at Frontenac Provincial Park.  His goal was to do at least 13 km, two more kilometres than last time.  

Liam kept proposing really long routes for our weekday hikes and I kept having to say no because I felt that they were too much for Seamus to do and for me to carry Alistair on by myself.  Continually crushing your child's ambitions is soul crushing so I promised Liam that he could plan his ideal hike on a weekend when Daddy could come to share the Ali load and Seamus could go spend the day at Grandma's house.  Today was that day.

Alistair loves his backpack naps.
Babies can really sleep anywhere!

Liam's dream route was to hike the outer loop of the South March Highlands.  He highlighted it on a map and we were off.









14.5 km (4h 43min) later, Ian and I high-fived and congratulated our tired, but very proud, seven year old on his success.



Even after such an epic trek, Liam has a special spring in his step from conquering a worthy adversary.  In contrast, Ian and I are hobbling around like very old men.   While our soles might be sore, at least our souls are springy thanks to having facilitated our eldest in completing his quest.  I am a bit worried about what Liam's next hiking goal will be though and whether my soon-to-be elderly body can handle it.  Ugh, my aching feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment