Saturday 27 June 2020

Weed Free and Loving It

We finished weeding the kitchen garden today and thought that we should take you on a quick virtual tour before the weeds all grow back!  We start at the tomatoes, head to the peas and broccoli, turn the garlic corner, mosey past the row crops, cabbage and eggplant, and end up back at the lettuce and tomatoes.


This is the best vegetable garden we have grown in our ten years here on Gael Glen Farm.  My dad would be really proud of us.  He loved a good vegetable garden and grew many himself.  He has been in my thoughts lately as I tend to a garden that could finally rival one of his.

After his passing, I questioned how I would be able to keep going on the farm without his support.  I am grateful for the family and friends who have stepped up to help me - each filling a small portion of his shoes.

I still miss my dad daily but in continuing to do the kinds of work that he also loved to do, I feel like I am keeping his memory alive in my own small way.  I wish he was here to sample my radishes and spring onions dipped in salt.  They would have really knocked his socks off.  And best of all, they can now be served without a side of weeds!

1 comment: