Wednesday 24 June 2020

Budding Florists

It was a fresh and crisp morning for harvesting Week #3's second batch of CSA baskets. Even though the rain still eludes us, I am so relieved that the heat wave is over.


Today's baskets included: sweet or snap peas, wine cap mushrooms, a salad mix (green and red leaf lettuce & endive), green head lettuce, borage or spinach leaves, kale, radishes, spring onions, a mini broccoli crown and/or leaves, garlic chives, sweet basil, mint, sage, and daikon, wasabi mustard and clover microgreens.

Today's bonus item was a beautiful bouquet of fragrant peonies.


The boys were so enthralled by the fresh cut flowers that I could not resist giving them a pair of scissors and letting them loose in the flower gardens to make their own floral bouquet.


They did an amazing job!   Apparently, florist is now up there with barber and demolition man as the boys' desired career paths.  I tried to explain to them that florists do not really run around chopping down beautiful flowers but I am not sure that my message got through. At least they had fun and I got a lovely centrepiece out of the deal.  In hindsight, I wonder if I clarified that this was a one time thing...we might need to revisit that tomorrow before I have no flowers left in my gardens ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment