Monday 1 June 2020

Disaster Averted

I was outraged this morning to wake up to frost.  Frost!  On June 1st.  Ridiculous.

I had an inkling that we were in for no good when I could see my breath during last night's milking session.  My uncovered basil plants had been lambasted by cool temperatures the night before which I took to be Mother Nature sending me a warning that I needed to get my butt in gear or risk damage to more of my veggie babies.


And so, despite being exhausted from Liam's birthday extravaganza, Ian and I took the time last night to cover all of our tomato, pepper, eggplant and ground cherry plants.  I moved all of our not-yet-planted seedlings inside the chicken coop to keep warm.  I also woke up before sunrise and watered everything that we were not able to cover in hopes of reducing frost damage.  As I watered, I was sad to see so many leaves crispy with frosted tips but, thank heavens, it seems that everything bounced back by mid-afternoon.  Disaster averted.  Hopefully this means we can now say a firm sayonara to Old Man Winter.   Here is to hoping that hot summer nights come to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment