Friday 24 April 2020

Home Run? Keep Swinging

It does not matter how many loaves of bread one has made, there is always something new to learn.

As a result of the COVID-19 related flour shortage, I have begun experimenting with a new (to me) whole grain red wheat flour from a local mill.



Working with whole wheat flour is totally different than baking with all purpose flour.  It is a whole new ball game.  As a baseline, I made my first loaf with 100% red wheat flour using the exact same tried and true method that yields perfect loaves with all purpose flour; it was a hockey puck in terms of texture but had a lovely wheaty flavour.  It actually reminded me of some of my very first sourdough loaves.  Ian and the boys said it was "not good".


I have since gradually reduced the ratio of red wheat to all purpose flour and, while I have yet to craft the perfect (partially) whole wheat loaf, I am making progress in the texture department without compromising the great taste that comes from whole wheat flour.


Aside from the perk of feeding my family, I love making bread because it offers the humble reminder that you are never a true expert in anything; there is always more to learn.  The push to keep swinging for the stars is always welcome in this household.


No comments:

Post a Comment