Saturday 7 September 2019

Fungi Royalty

Ian: "You have to look at my log."

Me: "?"

Me: "Oh, your mushroom log.  You have mushrooms?!  NO WAY!"

Sure enough, after a year of waiting Ian's fungi stumps finally yielded three huge, beautiful shiitake mushrooms.




I know when I have been beat and bowed down to Ian as the winner our fungi growing contest and title King of the Mushrooms.  Mid bow I had a thought...

Me: "Wait a minute.  What are the odds I have mushrooms too?"

Note: I have checked my mushroom patch about 365 times since the boys and I spread the mushroom spores last year.

I trotted over to my mushroom patch.

Me: "Holy ******!  What do you know?!  I HAVE MUSHROOMS."


Note: I am now jumping for joy, fist pumping (while holding Alistair), and doing the chicken dance simultaneously.

Me: "IAN!  I HAVE MUSHROOMS TOO!!!"  (I am pretty sure the entire neighbourhood now knows that I have mushrooms.)



Ian: "Nope.  No way.  Those must be wild mushrooms."

After consulting with our neighbour and fellow mushroom grower Alan and the internet, we have determined that the mushrooms in my patch are definitely the edible wine caps that I planted.  And what's more, there are at least a dozen of them!


After some cajoling from the kids, the Mushroom King eventually bowed down to me and granted me the title Queen of the Mushrooms.  We agreed to govern our Kingdom of Fungi jointly and justly.

Isn't the best ending the one where we call it a tie and make homegrown mushroom focaccia?

I am so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment