Thursday 26 September 2019

Making the Most of a Rainy Day

Some people detest grey and rainy autumn days.  I am not one of those people.

I love a good rainy day.  Not only does it water my garden for me (that saves me a half hour of work!) but it gives me a reprieve from the outdoor chores allowing me to get busy inside.  Rainy days are some of my most productive.

There are a few things on the farmstead that need to be done rain or shine.  Animal care is one of those things.  This was my first ever rainy milking day.  In case you did not know, most goats do not enjoy getting wet.  This is probably why the bad goat spray is such an effective training tool.  Since my milking stand is set up outside, I tried to make Martha and Mellie as comfortable as possible as we braved the elements during milking time.


They were very good sports.  It might be my imagination but I feel like they were extra compliant today; I dealt with fewer kicks than usual from Martha.


After pasteurizing the milk, I decided I wanted to make a loaf of bread for Ian's breakfast tomorrow.  He is supposed to fly in late tonight.  I have been using the whey (a by-product of cheese making) as the liquid in my bread lately but I was out.  So, I started by making a batch of goat cheese.



I then used some of the whey to start a loaf of bread.


Meanwhile, I brewed up two pitchers of sweet tea in order to make a new batch of kombucha later in day once the tea had cooled.


By this time, Alistair had woken up from his morning nap so we goofed around with the dogs while listening to the rain pitter patter on the roof.

Ali: "Just a little further.  I really want to touch you."

Ali: "Let me see exactly how you do it."

Ali: "Like this?  I think I have got it!"

Ali: "I love you.  You are so soft and furry even if you are really wet from the rain."
It should be noted that Alistair is bonding with our "grumpy" dog Emily.  Emily does not typically like anyone but me.  It seems that I might have some competition as the sole object of Emily's affection.  She was incredibly kind and patient with Alistair during play time; two personality traits that are very much outside her wheel house.

After lunch Alistair and I had a busy afternoon of laundry, kitchen tidying, zucchini harvesting, and sunflower appreciation. 

The rain made them all droopy.

Still beautiful though.

We then took Liam and Seamus to swimming lessons after school.  After having dinner with Grandma and doing animal chores again, all my dependants were finally in bed and I was able to get back to my indoor chores.

I flavoured and bottled half a dozen bottles of kombucha.  I decided to try pineapple for my second fermentation this time.


I stretched, folded and shaped this morning's dough in preparation for its second fermentation in the fridge overnight.


Last but not least, I put yesterday's Walnut Currant Honey bread in the oven to bake. 




I must tell you that my house smells divine right now.  I am thankful that I have something special to surprise the boys with when they wake up since they are expecting Daddy to get home over night and they will be crushed to find out that his flight has been delayed.  I plan to use my bread as a distraction.


See?  I told you rainy days can be productive.  Tell me about all the things you got up to today.

No comments:

Post a Comment