Thursday 5 September 2019

Loving and then Letting Go

Despite waking up to a chilly four degrees Celcius this morning, it turned out to be a gorgeous and very productive day.  I am amazed how much I can get done when the big boys go to school and the baby naps!


My bread turned out beautifully this morning.  Talk about starting the day off right!


Once it warmed up outside the big boys and I released Marty the monarch into the great outdoors. 


Raising our trio of monarch butterflies was an eye opening experience for Liam and Seamus.  They were so excited waiting for the caterpillars to build their chrysalides and begin metamorphosis. 



Liam and Seamus waited so patiently for each one to emerge but once they saw the beautiful butterflies that Monica, Madoo and Marty had become, the boys decided that they wanted to "keep them forever" instead of setting them free.  This was a great teaching opportunity for the "if you love something you have to let it go" life lesson.  During each butterfly release both Liam and Seamus choked up with tears but it helped that "their" butterflies kept showing up around the farm for days after they had been freed.  With Marty now free we can put the terrarium away until we need it for a new house guest.  Any suggestions on who we should adopt next?


In addition to mucking all of my barns during Ali's morning nap, I finally got around to making the Cowboy Candy.  These candied jalapenos now need to sit for four weeks before we can try them.  I will be counting the days!







Last but not least, Alistair and I spent a half hour this afternoon picking crab apples off of the tree in the chicken run. 


Crab apple jelly is the next item on my to do list...well, that and giving Charlotte and Emily a fur cut.  Tomorrow is shaping up to be a busy day.  I have already set out my toque so I can get an extra early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment