Wednesday 12 September 2018

The Great Mushroom Marathon

It has been a few weeks since the boys and I weeded the front garden under the maple tree and spread out hardwood chips and the bags of mushroom spores.

Weeds before.

Garden after.
Sadly for me, Liam lost interest in weeding halfway through.

You want us to do what?

Okay....if you say so...
 Despite our frequent watering...


only a few wild (likely inedible) mushrooms have popped up but none of the Stropharia rugoso-annulata (wine cap) mushrooms yet.

Ian's mushroom logs are not faring any better.  He had to re-do portions of his logs after propping them up against the chickens' fence through which they promptly pecked out all of the wax and mushroom spawn they could reach.  Then his bag of mushroom spawn went moldy and had to be thrown out.  The last I heard, Ian had heaved his logs over the fence to lay under the pine trees and then pretty much forgot about them.  So much for careful watering and meticulous mushroom log maintenance.

So far, we are neck and neck in the Great Mushroom Marathon of 2018 but I am so going to win.

1 comment:

  1. I keep forgetting to water my winecap patch. It wasn't clear to me whether you'd see mushrooms the first year, or whether it would take a year or more for them to develop.

    ReplyDelete