Saturday 8 September 2018

Bee Medicine, Freezer Fish and Lego's Lucky Ram Balls

Ian and I got up to very different things today.  Now that our most recent heat wave is over, I donned the beekeeper equivalent of a hazmat suit to treat my bees for mites.  I used formic acid in the form of Mite Away Quick Strips (MAQS), which has lots of scary poison symbols on the container.  Obviously my human baby's safety is paramount and so I looked like this today during my apiary visit.


Despite looking ridiculous, my excessive protection meant that I did not inhale any chemicals nor get any on my skin thanks to the nitrile gloves I wore under my leather beekeeping ones.  The medication went on all four hives successfully and now I must leave them all alone for seven days while it does its work.

Ian, conversely, spent some time out on the water today.  In addition to the relaxation of a morning of walleye fishing, he brought us home three keepers for the freezer.  I see walleye chowder in our future.

I think that bottom one looks more like a perch than a walleye
but I am not a fish identification expert by any means.
Later in the afternoon, Ian and I reconvened for some animal maintenance duties before he departs on business next week.  We are happy to report that Lego's scrotum has fallen off!  Just thought you'd want to know.

Looks a bit like a lucky rabbit foot but it's most assuredly not.

No comments:

Post a Comment