Sunday 9 June 2019

My Potato Bug

My little potato bug and I planted some potatoes for the second year in a row.  Last year, this undertaking did not go smoothly.  In an effort to "help" me, three year old Seamus picked all the eyes off of the seed potatoes prior to planting.  In his defence, I do ask him to remove the eyes when we are going to eat the potatoes so I could see how he got confused.

Over the past year we have been working hard at differentiating between how to prepare potatoes for cooking/eating versus how to prepare them for planting.  Four year old Seamus is now well versed in all things potato - I will let him explain...


This year we started by digging a trench in the garden.


We placed the potatoes with eyes intact equally spaced in the trench.


We covered them up with dirt.


Now we will wait until we see the eyes emerge from the dirt at which point we will cover them up with more dirt and we will continue to do so until the potatoes are buried about six inches deep.  Then we weed, water, wait and hope no other potato bugs find them in the meantime! #growingup

No comments:

Post a Comment