Friday 28 June 2019

Biscuit Blunder and Three Cheers for Kale

I am still working on baking the perfect skyscraper biscuit.  My latest batch was certainly an improvement in height over last week's hockey pucks, except that these remained raw on the inside even after I doubled the baking time.


If you have a favourite tried-and-true biscuit recipe, please send it along.  I am obviously in need of some assistance.  Also, if you have a favourite biscuit cutter or cutting technique, I am all ears.  My leaning towers here leave something to be desired.

While the quest for the perfect biscuit remains ongoing, I am becoming a pro at preparing my weekly CSA baskets.  Very early morning harvesting is key to keeping the greens as crunchy as possible.  A big "Thank You" to Grandma who came bright and early this morning to hold a snuffly Alistair so that I could go complete my sunrise harvest in peace and quiet.

This week’s CSA basket included: green leaf, red leaf and endive lettuces, a huge head of butter crunch lettuce, spinach, arugula, watercress, chard, radishes, red scallions, young broccoli (head, stalk & leaves - all edible), kale, dill, flat leaf parsley, lavender sprigs, chives, pea shoots, sunflower sprouts, sandwich special micro greens, daikon micro greens, wasabi mustard micro greens, red clover micro greens, and a dozen farm fresh eggs.

This week’s bonus item was a jar of Gael Glen Farm's wildflower honey.



With the arrival of the hot weather, the time for sweet, crunchy lettuce and spinach is coming to an end.  Spring radishes are almost finished; they just do not grow as well in the heat.  The next wave of vegetables should be the broccoli, turnip, cabbage, peas, and beans.  I also have lots of carrots and beets in the ground but with the late spring all of these crops are delayed.  I am hoping that they pick up speed or we may have a lull in the garden between when the greens are done and everything else begins.  On the bright side, there will always be kale.  Three cheers for a basket made entirely of kale!  Who's with me?  What if I throw in a biscuit or two?

No comments:

Post a Comment