Thursday 20 June 2019

Three Success and a Flop

My mouse melon plants have successfully come back from the (very nearly) dead.  With our very delayed spring, they were in the house much too long.  I eventually put them outside even though it was still much too cold for melons because I did not think they were going to survive inside any longer.  The existing vines all perished but the roots must have taken hold because they all have new shoots!  Woohoo!  It will our first time growing these grape sized melons and I am super excited for them.




Our second success of the day was Alistair's new ability to roll over from back to front.  He is getting better and better at rolling over and is working hard on tummy time.  He is loving all his new moves!  He is growing so fast - I feel like at this rate he will be crawling any day now and we will be back to having everything in the house barricaded off.  I do not miss having baby gates everywhere!


Ava is our third success of the day.  Her training is coming along very well (as long as we do not dwell on the fact that she still likes to chew on the ducks if she can get a hold of them).  She is now responding quite reliably to her name (unless there is a duck in the vicinity), she has pretty much learned "sit", "come" and "leave it" (unless she is preoccupied by a duck), she knows her perimeter walk (maybe because there are no ducks here to distract her), and she is working hard at not biting people with her puppy teeth (sadly, I cannot say the same for the ducks).  She is doing wonderfully well.  I cannot believe we have only had her a month!  It feels like she has been with us forever.


Not everything can be a success and that is okay.  Today my attempt at biscuits using a new recipe was a certified flop.  They were the absolutely flattest biscuits ever.  It is mildly frustrating when you follow the recipe exactly and instead of the mile high, towering biscuits like in the recipe's photo, yours turn out like crunchy pancakes (not even the fluffy kind of pancake).  Even worse, they kind of tasted like fish and chips (not in a good way) - I have no idea why, they just did.  Disaster.


On the whole though, I figure if I have three successes for every flop, I am not doing too badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment