Friday 7 June 2019

Many Helping Hands

The best days on the farm are those when we have helpers come by.  To assist with the preparation of my first CSA basket of 2019, our very good family friends, Ms. Cheryl and Kristy (with Jackson and Noah in tow), came to lend a hand.  You know what they say about many hands making light work.  With help in child care (read: holding Alistair) and gardening, they had all my bases covered.

This week's CSA baskets included: butter crunch lettuce, spinach, strawberry spinach, garland, red leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, watercress, chard, radishes, scallions, dill, parsley, garlic chives, pea shoots, daikon, mustard and clover micro greens, and farm fresh eggs.



This week’s bonus item was artisan kombucha bread.


Ms. Cheryl helped me plant new seeds in the areas freed up from the harvest. We sowed sweet, lemon, lime, and licorice basil, spinach, red leaf lettuce, and a few beets. She also helped me pot up all our hot and sweet peppers - what a job! We now have pepper plants for miles!



Jackson and Liam took a break from enjoying their PD day to help with watering.


I am grateful for our community of family and friends who make the effort to help us keep living our dream of homesteading and hobby farming.  Without their support and elbow grease, maintaining our farm would be that much more challenging.  

My very productive morning meant that I was able to spend my Friday evening mucking out my barns while Ian treated Seamus and Alistair to a special father and sons movie night.  Scooping the poop was a weekend job that I am thrilled to have completed early.  I find it so comforting knowing that my animals are clean, dry, and safe.  Furthermore, my back is grateful that I do not have to attempt this chore tomorrow morning while carrying Alistair around in the baby carrier.
 
Thank you again Ms. Cheryl, Kristy, Jackson and Noah for all your help today - see you next Friday!  And special props to Ian for giving me some time off tonight to spend in the barn yard; the animals and I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment