Thursday 13 June 2019

Two Thumbs Up for Lambie Hammies

With a little (okay, a lot of) effort I redeemed myself and managed to earn two thumbs up in the dinner department - no, I did not cave and serve Kraft dinner.

Tonight's dinner selection was lamb burgers with garden salad.


We used red scallions, garlic chives, oregano and radishes from the garden.

Lots of fresh greens too.

Homemade buns.

And our homegrown lamb meat, of course.
"Look Mom, I cleaned my plate!" 
He ate a whole burger!
During dinner Ian and I reflected on the incredible amount of time and effort that went into this particular meal.  From breeding the sheep, bottle feeding one of lambs, and helping him nurse until Violet, a first time mama, got everything figured out.  To harvesting the ram lambs and the incredibly long time it took to clean and butcher the meat ourselves.  To planting the vegetable seeds and transplanting the baby sprouts.  To weeding, watering, harvesting, and cleaning the vegetables.  To baking the buns, including the mixing, stretch and folding, and two rises.  Not to mention, preparing and cooking the meal.  And doing the dishes.  It is quite amazing when we stopped to think about it.

To make up for last night's dessert flop, tonight I served homemade frozen chocolate ice milk.  So much simpler and, thankfully, very well received.


Especially when topped with tiny score bits or super mini chocolate chips.



In the end I received two thumbs up.



I suppose that makes up for the two solid thumbs down that they gave me last night?  And you know what the kicker is about feeding kids?  They would have been just as happy with a box of Kraft dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment