Tuesday 22 May 2018

A Foraging First

If dandelions are delectable treats for chicks and honey bees, why not for humans too?  With the million dandelions currently in bloom in our front yard,


I thought I'd try my hand at making some dandelion jelly.


I picked at least a hundred dandelions blooms.


It did not even make a dent in the dandelion landscape so not to worry, there are lots left for the bees.  Ian looked at me like I was insane when I came prancing inside proudly with my bowls of dandelions.  He was thrilled I was picking them voluntarily as he hates seeing them in the lawn.  If I had played my cards better, I could have probably bargained a date night in exchange for picking them (knowing I was planning on picking them anyway) but sadly I did not think of this until after seeing the look of equal parts jubilation and bewilderment on his face.


After soaking the petals over night,


I used the dandelion infused liquid plus sugar and pectin to make jelly.


It jelled up nicely and the result is truly delicious.  Tangy and floral.  It was a hit at breakfast this weekend, though Liam told me that he is having a hard time convincing his friends on the school bus that dandelion jelly is really a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment