Wednesday 9 May 2018

Crooked Lettuce

There was a crooked farmer, who built a crooked frame, to grow some crooked lettuce, and things never were the same.

That is not perspective.  It is just really crooked.
After having conquered the dirt pile by 10:30 am (YES!),


Grandpa and I tried our hands at building an A-frame lettuce planter.


I purchased 2x2 wood for this project which in hindsight might have been my mistake - many of the pieces were slightly warped.  Despite Grandpa's well established background in construction, I think my inability to build things square triumphed (if you can call it that) - the planter we built ended up being very, very crooked.  One leg does not reach the ground, or even the brick I placed under it.

Oh well.  It might be somewhat unsightly, but it will still work for growing over 80 heads of lettuce at once.  It is also movable so that it can be relocated to the shade once we get into the hotter days of summer.  This will extend the lettuce growing season significantly.  I still need to attach two more troughs to each side but I am more than satisfied with the significant strides we made today.  Another very productive day on Gael Glen Farm.

Ready for some dirt and seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment