Wednesday 28 July 2021

Her Heart Ran Out of Beats

We said goodbye to Callie today, our grey Indian Runner Duck.  We raised Callie from a day old duckling and she was the steadfast friend of our half-blind duck Kate.  Callie had been a bit slow to return to the coop a few days ago and yesterday I noticed that her eyes looked off.  When I saw her nested up inside the coop last evening instead of outside with the other ducks making the most of the last few seconds of sunlight, I had a feeling that her time was near - she was pretty old for a duck - almost six.  Sure enough, I found Callie this morning in the exact same place and exact same position as I left her last night; as Ian explained, "her heart simply ran out of beats".


RIP Callie.  You were an excellent forager and a special part of Kate, Emma and Abby's flock.  You will be missed as you move on to greener pastures and clearer ponds.  We are sad to see you go, old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment