Thursday 8 July 2021

Clearly Not a Dystopian Hero

Do you ever feel like you are a character in a dystopian novel?  Maybe that's just me - I do read a lot of books in that genre.

Today, the boys and I decided to hike in Burnt Lands Provincial Park.  My hiking app showed a short loop completed less than two weeks ago by another hiker.  Given the predicted rain, it seemed like a reasonable quest.

Interestingly, our hike ended up bordering an old, rusty barbed wire fence that looked like it was from the 1950s.  The signs posted along the fence started as:


Then changed to:


And finally ended up saying:


Now, I've seen enough electric fences to know that this one was obviously not electrified but what the heck is going on behind that fence?!  


At one point we spied an old wooden shack deep within the forbidden zone.  


And worse, the route for our loop seemed to require us to breach the barbed wire fence at the halfway point.  


I guess I am not cut out to be the hero of my own dystopian novel as there was absolutely no way I was breaching the fence with my three kiddos in tow.  We completed a loop in the opposite direction along the roadside instead.


I will just have to accept that today will always leave me wondering what would have happened if we had crossed the forbidden fence. Maybe this is where the aliens are kept, or the entrance to MIB, or the access point to where our cohort of human-kind is walled off from the outside world in an experiment - the possibilities are endless...

No comments:

Post a Comment