Wednesday 14 April 2021

I Hate Moving Rocks

The boys and I spent the day moving rocks to construct our waterfall.  I am aware that I share many traits with my father but, after today, I can say with absolute certainty that I do not share his love of rock relocation.  Granted, my dad typically moved rocks with his tractor and we were using manual labour but ugh...rocks are heavy and lugging them around sucks!

First we removed the existing rock pile from the waterfall's location.  We then built the structure from bricks and covered it with a new pond liner (pond liners are outrageously expensive, just so you know) because a mouse had chewed a hole in our existing liner.  Then we arranged the landscape rocks on top of the lined structure to make a waterfall shape.

Our first attempt was an absolute failure.  It looked like a tilted stone sarcophagus out of an Indiana Jones movie.  So we removed all the landscape stones we had placed (sigh) and attempted it again.

Attempt #2 went better and our waterfall now looks passable.  I think building waterfalls might be a bit like giving men haircuts - I am just not very talented in these areas.  That said, my rock lifting muscles are now complete jelly so unless I look at the waterfall tomorrow with fresh eyes and hate it, I think our second attempt might be it.

Before

After

Unfortunately, building the waterfall required way more rocks than I had anticipated and so, rather unbelievably, I have signed Ian and I up to collect more rocks on the weekend so that I can create a matching rock border around the edge of the pond.  Needless to say, I am totally not looking forward to moving more rocks but at least they are free, right?  Ugh.  I hate moving rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment