Thursday 21 November 2019

The Big Reveal

Upon reflection, it is not surprising that I am drawn to both bread baking and soap making as homestead related hobbies.  Both provide an avenue for me to make necessities that we would otherwise have to buy.  They both require equal parts precision and creativity.  And both offer the lure of finally making that perfect loaf/bar.

What I enjoy most about both of these hobbies, though, is that each and every batch of homemade bread and soap offers a "big reveal" moment.   

During bread baking, the big reveal comes after the loaf has cooked in a 450 degrees F oven for 30 minutes inside a cast iron dutch oven covered with a lid.  When it is time to remove the lid, you finally get a chance to peek at your loaf to see if it "bloomed" in the oven (called "oven spring"), whether your scoring was a success, and if you were finally able to achieve the much coveted "ear" (an overhang of crust, formed by properly fermenting, mixing, kneading, shaping, scoring, steaming, and baking the dough).

I love this moment!
Voila!  She's a beauty.
Likewise, making a homemade bar of soap offers a big reveal moment in each batch.  This moment comes when slicing a loaf of soap into bars.  You finally get to see how the pattern turned out and if it looks anything like what you were going for.


I love this moment!
Voila!  She's a beauty.
 It is the anticipation of possible perfection that gets me every time!  I certainly have not had my fill of bread baking or soap making yet.  In fact, I started a new batch of both today.  My bread dough is on its first fermentation and is waiting to be stretched, folded, shaped and placed in the fridge.  My soap making went absolutely nothing like I expected and I ended up with a loaf of soap that looks like peanut butter but smells like green tea!  Weird, I know. 



 I cannot wait for the big reveal for both my new bread and new soap in the days to come.  Who needs the lottery when you can get the same rush of anticipation from simply making bread and soap?!

No comments:

Post a Comment