Saturday 23 November 2019

Best “Baby”-sitter ever...

Please give a warm welcome to Ms. Kerry, Gael Glen Farm's newest guest blogger and farm sitter extraordinaire.

Best “Baby”-sitter ever......for farm animals, that is.

My stint as animal caregiver for evening chores was exceptionally fulfilling. Moderately challenging to get five baby goats into their raised pen but most challenging was the chicken chase.

Two held out....hiding amongst the shrubs, hoping I wouldn’t notice. Ha!





All my sweet singing and gesturing could not convince these two to call it a day so I used the stick that keeps the door open to more emphatically direct them, by pointing, to the coop. Success!

And there was Josephine.
The contrary hen.



No way was she moving out of her nest to give up her eggs. And when you go near her, she pecks. I attempted to get her to move by nudging her with a brush...PECK!
Sun was setting...coyotes would soon be on the prowl and I had no time to negotiate with this bird.
So much like in the game show “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”, I called (texted) a friend.
I reached out to both Ian & Krystal.

Here’s how that went:
Krystal



Ian



Perseverance paid off (no eye-poking involved) and the overall yield was impressive.



I “might” have accidentally given Charlie & the sheep more than two flakes of hay. It was very tightly packed together and when I got to their barn, my inexperienced eye became obvious.
Ah, but when the “baby”-sitter comes over, the children usually get extra treats, right?



I hugged Charlie and the sheep before closing the door. There were no lullabies, but don’t think it didn’t cross my mind.



By 4:20pm, the hatches were battened and 3 sheep, 1 donkey, 2 goat mommas, 5 goat babies, 1 giant dog and 20 +/-chicken & ducks tucked in, but I wasn’t tuckered out. Look at me







Evening chores completed: ☑️

No comments:

Post a Comment