Thursday 7 November 2019

Four Letter Words that Start with "S"

The first real snowfall is truly magical for kids.


While adults are cursing about brushing off their cars and shovelling their front steps, kids are bounding outside eager to make their first snow angel and throw the first snowball.  Liam and Seamus were no exception.  They could not scarf down their breakfast fast enough before donning their snowsuits over their pyjamas and breaking out the snow shovels.  Hopefully their enthusiasm for shovelling snow lasts for the whole winter!


I must admit that I was not nearly as excited about the snow as the boys.  Instead, I was looking forward to an afternoon of soap making with my soap guru, Jayne.  She taught me a bunch about how to make different colour patterns in soap, what molds to use, and how to add things like honey, oatmeal, chia seeds, etc.  Alistair and I learned so much!

Jayne also helped me make my second ever batch of goat milk soap.  We used yellow pigment, titanium dioxide for white and activated charcoal for black.  We sprinkled in chia seeds for exfoliants and added golden mica dust on top for pizzazz.  The result was stunning!




I cannot wait to remove the soap loaf from the mold and cut it into slices to see how the colours turned out.  Soap making is so exciting!

Jayne also generously gifted me with a mountain of bars of her different soap creations and some coloured powder and pink clay of my own to experiment with.  I have much to learn and am now guaranteed to never run out of soap again.

At the end of the day some of us ended up cold while others ended up clean; however, there is no doubt about it - everyone ended up excited by a four letter word that starts with "S".

No comments:

Post a Comment