Friday 22 November 2019

Our Bags are Packed

Our bags are packed, we're ready to go.  The barns are clean and the animals are fed.  No, we are not going on vacation (I wish) but we are heading out for an overnight trip to Toronto.  Yes, I am aware that I said that I never wanted to leave the farm again because the drive to Toronto with three small children is soul crushing.  But, believe it or not, I do not get to make all the decisions around here.

We have company staying in our farm house to keep an eye on our inside pets and plants and we are leaving our farm critters in Ms. Kerry's very capable, though somewhat novice, hands.  I have warned everyone to be on their best behaviour for her but the beautiful thing about farming is that you never know what is going to happen.

I can, however, offer four tips:

1) Baby goats are very hungry animals.  They have zero boundaries when it comes to grain.  Anyone and anything between their snout and the grain bucket is at risk for being trampled.


2) Charlie is the boss.  If she is doing what you want, consider yourself very lucky because this is only because it is also what she wants...for now.  If she changes her mind - watch out!


3) Beware of the broody hen sitting in the nest boxes.  She bites.  Her current exchange rate is two pecks per egg.

4) It does not matter how many precautions you take, you will smell like goat after doing the farm chores.  No, Purell will not help.  It will just make you smell like an alcoholic goat.

And with these sage words, I leave you to it Ms. Kerry.  Remember, we are only a phone call away (though admittedly, I have never tried to convince Charlie to do something over speaker phone).  If all else fails, duct tape really does fix anything!

P.S. I have left you some homemade soap as a "thank you".  It should help with the goat stench.

No comments:

Post a Comment