Wednesday 27 May 2020

Pretty Stinky

They are pretty...pretty stinky.  Our baby ducklings are growing like weeds - swamp weeds.  It is hard to believe that they actually fit into an egg three short weeks ago.  Now they are huge!  Today they switched over from "duck starter" feed to "duck grower/finisher" feed.  I suspect this might make them grow even faster.  Yikes! 


Unfortunately for me, bigger ducks means more duck poop.  And, boy oh boy, does duck poop stink...like really bad.  Not to worry though, I ordered some more wood shavings for their coop and I will keep changing their stinky bedding frequently.  Also the hot weather has encouraged them to swim more.  While I am not sure this helps alleviate their stench, it can't hurt, right?

On the opposite end of the scent spectrum from duck droppings is the heady floral fragrance of lilacs.  Lilacs are also pretty stinky but in a much more pleasing way. 



The boys and I are in the process of making a batch of lilac jelly.  Lilac blooms are much easier to harvest than dandelions so making the tea was a snap.  Tomorrow we will turn our beautiful mauve tea into jelly.  If I have any leftover I would like to freeze some for a batch of lilac goat milk soap and I found a neat recipe for lilac lemonade!  So much to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment