Wednesday 13 May 2020

A Squeal from the Depths of Hell

Another day on the farm, another adventure.

Ham Solo is such a ham. 
This is the face he gave me when I told him to say, "Cheese!"

Our daily dose of shenanigans started bright and early this morning.  When feeding Gloria and Solo, I noticed that Gloria's left ear was even more lumpy than it was last night and her left eye was now swollen shut.  "No problem," I thought to myself, "I am getting quite proficient at animal healing."  Famous last words.


As I picked up Gloria, cooing to her soothingly about how I would make her eye feel better, she went bonkers.  Her ear piercing squeal was the stuff of nightmares.  I have never heard such a horrifying sound in all my years.  I am sure that our neighbours must have thought I was torturing her when, in fact, I was rubbing her belly and ever so gently cleansing her sore eye with a warm washcloth.   And if her squeal from the depths of Hell was not adequate to thoroughly unnerve me, she then proceeded to spray the most foul smelling piglet diarrhea all down my front.  It took all my will power not to gag; I did not want to offend her further.  I did manage to clean her eye but then hastily retreated from the pen and headed directly into the shower.

It seems that all was forgiven by supper time.


Gloria's eye looks a bit more open, though her ear is still very swollen.  We followed up with their previous farmer and he said that it is likely a haematoma resulting from some sort of trauma; she might have gotten into a fight or been picked on before coming to live with us.  Apparently the swelling should resolve by itself in a couple of weeks.  Gloria seems to be eating and drinking just fine so we will continue to keep an eye on things - from a distance...a good safe distance - out of range of spraying diarrhea and so as not to give the piglets any reason whatsoever to emit such a terrifying noise again.

So much for my dreams of sweet piglet snuggles.  I guess I will have to save those for the lambs!

No comments:

Post a Comment