Saturday 25 August 2018

The Day that Wouldn't End

With over a dozen Seamus temper tantrums before 10 am, it was a long day to say the least.  After an early wake up and near constant meltdowns about everything from watering the garden to helping wrangle the sheep after a fence breach, Seamus was the lucky recipient of an early nap.  He fell asleep in under a minute.  This left Liam and I to finish the farm chores and put together a huge pot of deer borscht which we will can for winter.

Liam washed all the garden veggies.

We cleaned and I chopped everything.

The stew is ready to be pressure canned tomorrow.
It was inevitable that upon getting Liam down to nap around 12:45 pm that Seamus woke up.   As I sadly saw my own nap evaporate, Seamus (in a better though still temperamental mood) and I played 1.5 hours of Little People farm (involving trucking each animal in turn off to "animal jail" for standing on the barn roof - putting "bad people/animals" in jail is Seamus' latest obsession - maybe he will take after his Uncle Matt and become a police officer).  Finally I convinced him to help me make chocolate zucchini muffins.  As he destroyed the kitchen which I had already cleaned twice by this point, Seamus calmly pointed out that "baking is messy Mom".  No kidding when you insist on mixing with your hands.

Dinner was tough.  Bedtime was tougher.  Finally, by 7:30 pm - after getting called at least five times after putting the boys to bed to deal with their various issues - the boys finally went to sleep and I could collapse in exhaustion (at least until 10 pm when I had to feed the animals and put them to bed too).

It was just one of those days.

1 comment: