Thursday 23 August 2018

An August Sowing

For us, the end of August is usually a time for harvesting and canning.  The weeding and watering are mostly done and we are busy reaping and storing the rewards of our spring and summer's work.  This year is different.  Having constructed cold frames to get an early start to the growing season, I am well positioned to extend the tail end of our growing season as well.  As such, I find myself sowing seeds and seedlings now in hopes of harvesting fall hardy vegetables until November or even early December.  

Our fall plantings of chard and kale are already coming along nicely.  Last week we planted radishes, arugula, daikon, spinach, lettuce, green beans, carrots, and even a new zucchini plant.  Today, I added a row of peas and a few more rows of spinach and lettuce.  There is nothing better than being able to harvest fresh greens from your garden after everything else is done for the season.  I also transplanted some seedlings I started inside mid-summer into the garden: broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, endive, parsley, and basil.  I gave everything a good watering and now we must wait to see what takes.  Here's hoping for a good fall harvest!



No comments:

Post a Comment